Education, Research, and Techniques

Meducate

This page has been developed for educational purposes only. The articles you will read are taken from a sports medicine journal. Articles from the journal include current trends in sports massage therapy, rehabilitation and clinical trial studies. Articles added will be ones that are relevant and useful to my business development and your development as a sportsperson and non-sportsperson

Iliotibial Band Syndrome

Iliotibial Band Syndrome (ITBS) and Transverse Soft Tissue Release: A Case Study [Article] SPORTS MASSAGE |STUDENT THERAPIST ARTICLES AND CONTENT |ILIOTIBIAL BAND SYNDROME (ITBS): A LITERATURE REVIEW, CASE STUDIES, MASSAGE THERAPY MASTERCLASS, CLIENT ADVICE LEAFLETS AND PODCAST |CO-KINETIC JOURNAL OCTOBER 2015 (ISSUE 66) [GROUP OF ARTICLES]   Does stretching the iliotibal band (ITB) conjure up scenes of torture? For many clients it seems to be a rite of passage, if the treatment has not...

Cancer, Exercise and Massage

Cancer, Exercise and Massage

By Susan Findlay BSc RGN, Dip SMRT, MSMA, MCNHC, MLCSP, Director NLSSM Historically, massage has mistakenly been viewed as a contraindication for individuals who are currently undergoing treatment for, or who have a history of, cancer. Cancer is a broad term used to describe a set of diseases characterised by cell mutation and uncontrolled division of cells in the body that often spread to surrounding tissue forming tumours. Traditionally, it was believed that massage could exacerbate a...

The Gluteus maximus and the thoracolumbar fascia.

The Gluteus maximus and the thoracolumbar fascia.

It's no surprise that the gluteus maximus is one of the most important muscles in the human body due to its vast attachments. Interestingly only around 20 percent of the gluteal fibres attach to bone. The remaining 80 percent attach to fascia (connective tissue). For example, it connects to the humerus (the long bone in the upper arm) via the latissimus dorsi (lat) muscle through the thoracolumbar fascia, and it connects to the tibia (shin bone) via the iliotibial band, thereby influencing...

Rhythm and Speed

Rhythm and Speed

Developing a good rhythm is an important part of massage. It not only creates a more flowing technique, but also enables the patient to anticipate the stroke and relax into it better. Speed is one of the key variables in creating the desired overall effect of massage. Generally a slow pace is more relaxing and a fast pace more stimulating. When applying deep massage techniques it is important to work slowly. Not only does this allow good observation on a very detailed level, but also enables...

Function of the Glutes

Function of the Glutes

  The glutes are a true Swiss Army knife of a muscle equipped to handle a wide range of actions from daily movements like walking, standing up from a chair, picking something up off the ground, and carrying groceries, to sporting motions like running, lifting, jumping and striking. And whether you're balancing on one foot, lifting heavy, moving explosively, or carrying out an endurance effort, your glutes are well suited to handle every task.   THE FOUR PRIMARY BENEFITS GLUTEAL...

 SPORTS MASSAGE PRICE LIST

Cash payments and all major debit and credit cards accepted.